Q & A
How does 3rd Coast Books work?
3rd Coast Books does not publish everything submitted. At 3rd Coast Books, we request that your manuscript be thoroughly edited prior to submission. That doesn’t mean that Aunt Effie, who teaches fifth grade, is your primary editor. Just as you don’t want to publish something that is sub-par, 3rd Coast Books doesn’t either. So treat your foray into publishing as a business and pay someone to do a professional editing job for you.
Once your manuscript is in our hands 3rd Coast Books takes over and does the following:
- We evaluate the quality of the content of your manuscript. If our advisers think content needs a lift, that work is up to you. Our people are available for advice.
- We evaluate the grammar and content/flow of your manuscript. If we find them not up to publishing standards or you haven’t used The Chicago Manual of Style as your primary grammar guide, we have a list of editors we can refer you to for help. But remember, you want your book to make a good impression which means a well edited manuscript so it can be as close to publishing ready as possible before your book to our Review Board.
- Once your book project has passed our review board and you have signed our publishing contract, the book will be thoroughly edited for grammar.
- Once we have a finalized manuscript, the book goes into production. We will produce hard copy, perfect bound books and ebooks from your manuscript.
- We design your cover and, with your input, create an identity for your title.
- We coach the author about the new book marketing model utilizing social media.
- We design the following collateral pieces to help you with your marketing—One-Sheet, Bookmark or Postcard, or a Poster in 2 sizes. It is up to the author to get the pieces printed (we have print resources that are more than reasonable).
How much will it cost me to work with 3rd Coast Books?
We have set prices for fiction and nonfiction titles (U.S. dollars; credit card or PayPal):
- Fiction — $2,695.00
- Nonfiction — $2,995.00
What does that fee include?
The above fee includes a critique of your content and flow, a thorough grammar edit once a contract is signed, cover design, formatting the text of the hard copy book and ebook, distribution, and assistance with marketing before work begins on your book/ebook. For a more detailed list of what is included in the publishing packages, please click here.
What am I responsible for other than writing the manuscript?
You are responsible for getting your text edited before submission to 3rd Coast Books, setting up a website, your social media marketing, the printing of marketing materials, and sending your social media/email list to your contacts to sign up on Readers Cloud 9, our book marketing partner.
What profit do I make?
Authors take home 40% of the net profits from the sale of the books and ebooks, unheard of in traditional publishing.
What does the marketing consist of?
3rd Coast Books advises on setting up your website, writing a blog, creating a press kit, and we will design these pieces of marketing collateral—one-sheet, postcard or bookmark, and posters — to help market your book. We will also be targeting readers with a an extensive database of genre specific titles with our marketing arm / catalog, Readers Cloud 9.
Do I have to buy my own books to sell at signings, book fairs, or at the back of the room?
Yes, but you get 100 hard copies of the book as part of the overall package (we will pay the first $100 of freight when we ship your first 100 books). You also get a hefty discount on additional books you can buy to sell. Please note that the shipping cost is paid by the author and these books should be ordered at least 6 weeks in advance of when you need them. Below is the breakdown:
- 50-99 copies, 45% discount off retail price
- 100-249 copies, 50% discount off retail price
- Over 250 copies, we will talk about printing an offset run
- Author must pay freight on additional books
How does 3rd Coast Books distribute my books and ebooks?
We distribute books both nationally and internationally through all of the main online retailers.
Will my books be in brick and mortar bookstores?
At 3rd Coast Books, we do not distribute through the main wholesaler to the book industry. Bookstores require returns from the distributors and 3rd Coast Books doesn’t accept returns. However, we are in negotiations for distribution to bookstores and libraries. We encourage our authors to do book signings at both the independent and chain bookstores; however, more than likely these bookstores will not shelve your books. If someone walks into a bookstore and wants a specific book the store order it to sell to you.
If an author has ties to a community, these local bookstores could be interested in doing a book signing, but they have to be approached on an individual basis by the author. Just as they will gladly order a book for resell to a shopper, with a book signing they are usually eager to do them because the author will be bringing prospective customers into their stores. When approaching brick & mortar stores, you will need to let them know they can purchase the books through CreateSpace / Amazon.